Break free in summertime Finland
- Prices from n/a
- 3 days
2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 2 dinners, including a wilderness feast
Fireside cocktails, wine and beer
2 nights’ accommodation in a twin room converted prison and shared treetop tents
All activities, from paddle-boarding to beer tasting, included. Local Flash Pack guide and driver
Max 14 Flashpackers
Private airport transfers anytime on Day 1, country travel in private minibus
Hotel Katajanokka, Helsinki
Renovated 19th-century prison
The red brick facade might seem austere from the outside, but its interior is glowing testimony to the fine Finnish eye for design.
Why we stay here
Original stairwells, barred windows and isolation cells combine with luxe detail such as slippers, mini-bars and a weekend sauna.
Tentsile, Nuuksio National Park
Eco-friendly campsite near Helsinki
Forget bricks and mortar accommodation, at Tentsile you will be sleeping in tents suspended between trees. There are a few mod cons: an indoor toilet and shower block, plus an on-site sauna.
Why we stay here
You can’t beat this for total immersion in nature. Lake swimming is the order of the day, but make some time to explore the trails in this gorgeous national park.
The Flash Pack Promise
Here at Flash Pack, we’re committed to unique adventures that deliver great value for money. We pack our trips with epic experiences (unlike other companies, all activities are included), hand-pick stylish hotels and match you with like-minded people.
Hotel jail and craft ale
Flashpackers, welcome to the Finnish capital! An unsung jewel in Scandinavia’s crown, harbourside Helsinki is a delight to discover, with a burgeoning food scene and sleek design credentials. Catch a private transfer to our hotel; a 19th-century prison complete with barred windows and original stairwells. We’ll upgrade to superior rooms, where large beds and luxurious touches offset the jailhouse aesthetic. In the early evening, we’ll gather for a mosey around Helsinki’s handsome waterfront to Bryggeri Helsinki, an artisan brewery in the old town centre. Finland is fast making a name for its pioneering craft brews, and you’re here to taste why (all in the name of research, naturally). Knock back handcrafted pils, ales and wheat beer made in old-school copper kettles, and see the brewmaster work his magic before tucking into a hearty meal. Raise a “Kippis!” to your fellow Flashpackers and warm up for the adventure ahead.Read more
Into the wild
Fuel up on a big breakfast before your getaway to Nuuksio National Park. It’s only 45 minutes from Helsinki by car, but it’s a different world here. Hundreds of lakes scatter the wilderness, with forestland, nature trails and moss-covered peaks. We’ll start by paddle boarding and canoeing on Lake Haukkalampi, wreathed by cedars and pines. A few hours in, we’ll stop for a woodland lunch before taking wallowing in a nearby sauna and wild swimming in the lake. It doesn’t get dark until 11pm in the Northern Hemisphere, so we’ll celebrate with a lavish al fresco feast hosted by a wilderness chef, who’s been shipped in specially for the occasion. Help yourselves to Finnish booze (we recommend Napue Gin with lingonberry garnish) around the wispy smoke of the wood fire, before digging into a seasonal banquet. As darkness finally arrives, retreat to your bed for the night: two-man tree-tents that swing between the forest canopy.Read more
Al fresco bathing
Arise in your leafy nook and grab breakfast by Lake Haukkalampi before your last few hours in the wilderness. Hit the nature trails on a fat bike, hone your canoeing skills or take another dip in the lake. Later, we’ll head back into the city to Allas Sea Pool, one of Helsinki’s leading public baths. Drink in the city skyline from the harbour-facing pools, with temperatures ranging from a balmy 28°C to chilly water pumped directly from the Baltic Sea. Freshen up after your night in the trees and make the most of this quintessential Finnish tradition. After, we’ll wrap our Finnish escape: take a 30-minute train ride to the airport or spend a few extra days in Helsinki, with its food stalls, art galleries and indie boutiques. Whatever you do next, let the force of Finland stay strong within you. From tree-swinging tents to woodland cocktails, it’s been one long balm for the soul.Read more
- Fly into and out of Helsinki Airport.
- It is best to arrive before 5pm on Day 1 and we recommend booking flights from 5pm onwards on Day 3.
- All you need to bring for this wild weekend is the clothes you will wear and a head torch. All bedding in the tree tents is provided.
- On Day 2 of this adventure we are camping in the national park which is absolutely stunning but it does mean the toilet facilities are very basic and there are no showers. There will be a chance to shower on Day 3 at Allas Sea Pool, or you can go for a wild swim in the lakes.
- Please be aware that the itinerary, activities and hotels are subject to change. These changes can happen with little notice due to availability, poor weather, seasonal changes, or other circumstances beyond our control. From time to time we may also make changes to your itinerary to try out new ideas and keep things fresh.
- We take safety very seriously on Flash Pack adventures, click here to learn more.
- Hello, Arctic wonderland 4 days
- Glaciers and fjords 5 days
- Twilight ice hikes 4 days
- Kayak the waterfalls 5 days
- Canoeing and canyoning 4 days
- Laid-back lake life 4 days